Skip to main content

A Beginning

Hi. I'm Donna, a student, writer, and a very sketchy artist. I've spent a long time lurking and figured that it'd be nice to contribute to the SWORD DREAM/OSR scene. For most of the games I run I use Into The Odd by Chris McDowall and I use GLOG by Arnold K for sillier one-shots, so expect game-able content for those two systems along with little blurbs of worldbuilding at the start of posts. Of course, there's not much worldbuilding to do in a first post, but I do have game-able content. Specifically I have the sheet that I hand players when they create characters for my Into The Odd games, modified for vanilla Into The Odd since the game my players know is heavily hacked.
Out Of The Womb & Into The Odd
(Jason Nyugen)
When creating new characters for a new campaign, I hand each of the players this sheet and give them 10 to 15 minutes to brainstorm character bonds and who knows what about who. I listen at the sidelines, encourage collaborative character building, and enjoy the fun. After that, I generally explain the rules of the game, along with the principles of how to avoid dying really quickly, and we continue to the beginning of the session. Maybe someday I'll publish a properly formatted document of my hacked version of Into The Odd, but for now this will do. See you later, readers.

Comments

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere! I am mentioning your new blog on my podcast/blog this week. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spells + Rituals

In the spirit of October-For-People-In-Denial, I've been working on a few spooky things that probably should've been posted in Actual-October. One thing that I really enjoy is witches, in fact, I love them so much that all of my recent campaign's quintessential four classes  includes them ( Fighter , Thief , Witch, and Warlock , in my case). So far while GMing GLOG, the four have worked very well together. I've never quite written down solid rules surrounding the witch, so I guess now's the time. Just so we're all clear on what I view as "witches" and what this class will entail, I think that covens are like giant magical conspiracy-networks. Veteran witches live in this constant state of nightmare where complex rituals must be done, subtle games must be played, and horrible deeds must be completed for some final goal you would never understand. That being said, you can learn the game they play and participate if you're willing to risk a little h

Sea Spider

A small friend found its way into your skull one night and made its home within your fleshy recesses. You're different  now. Perhaps its the magic that makes you different or maybe the wanderlust or possibly the cravings. Or maybe you aren't different, after all, you've seen others like you who share the same friend in their skull. What you do know is that whatever is in your skull loves you, will care for you, and all it wants in exchange is to see the world. The Sea Spider Bogdan Rezunenko ( Using Oblidisideryptch's GLOG rules for warlocks )  Goals Wants to gather experiences from the world. Dangerously curious. It tugs your attention towards the unexplained in hopes that you will seek it. It's unknown exactly why it wants to gather experiences, and what these will be used for, but it's an innocent goal when compared to to other known warlock patrons . Starting Equipment A sling made of knotted seaweed with a pouch of fossil-like rocks, a

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

No plan survives first contact with the player, at least no plan of yours, my fellow GMs. I often find that heavy planning isn't worth it. I specifically find that improvisation is advantageous in play, for it can lead to even more interesting results than your original planning may have ever yielded. Attached to my GM screen I have four pages. The first is a giant list of random names, surnames, quirks, appearance, and secrets, all on D100 tables in some almost too tiny text. The second is a set of "templates" for magical items. The third is the player-facing rules to my hack. The fourth is simply for taking notes. I tend to run lots of my games pretty off-the-cuff since I am only an efficient writer when it's about an hour before the game starts and I'm panicking - anxiety is a horrible curse to have. Now, in interest of making interesting content, I'm going to share the magical item templates, since I'm almost sure everybody has seen their fair shar